On the back of my second place at the IM Africa Championships, I had the privilege of being interviewed by Bevan McKinnon from Fitter Radio, based out of New Zealand. As an elite level triathlete and coach, Bevan definitely knows his stuff and he asked some in-depth and probing questions. I’ve done a lot of interviews in my time – live interviews, radio interviews and even some for television, but I’ve got to say, I think this interview ranks right up there as one of the best I’ve ever done.
Amongst the topics we covered were:
- Old-school training methodology vs New-school and how I’ve made the transition from one to the other over the last year or so.
- The value of data to create more efficient and effective training programs and give you a more objective idea of your fitness going into a race.
- The growing focus on maximising fat oxidation to create some big gains in performance.
- How the IM Africa Championship race unfolded.
- Why actually wearing your heart rate monitor during a crucial race will keep your data-fixated coach happy.
Go deep then Geek Out
There’s plenty of great stuff in my conversation with Bevan. And if that’s not enough, then check out the Geek Out segment towards the end of the podcast, where two wise heads (and self-confessed mega-geeks) of the sport – The Plews and The Prof – analyse my data from the race. They really get down to the nitty gritty and contribute their own insights and wisdom as well. Not to mention The Plews giving me a hard time about not wearing my HR monitor. If you’re into the data and the details, this segment is a ‘must hear’… and not just because it’s all about me!
This is a great quality podcast – keep up the good work guys – you’re creating a lot of value for pros and age-groupers alike with what you’re producing. I’d seriously recommend that you listen to the whole show, there’s lots of good stuff in it. It’s Episode 108 and you can find it here.
If you’re really pushed for time, you can find my two segments at:
22:16 – 50:14 Interview with Bevan
1:19:20 – 1:38:00 Geek Out with The Plews and The Prof
What’s coming up
I’m back into the solid training now and I’ve got IM Cairns focused in my sights. But before Cairns I have Ironman 70.3 Vietnam.